Organization Description: Sharsheret is a national not-for-profit organization supporting young Jewish women and their families facing breast cancer. Our mission is to offer a community of support to women of all Jewish backgrounds diagnosed with breast cancer or at increased genetic risk by fostering culturally-relevant individualized connections with networks of peers, health professionals and related resources. Team Sharsheret is an athletic program supporting Sharsheret’s 12 national breast cancer and ovarian cancer programs to raise awareness and funds that benefit thousands of Jewish women and families. Team athletes train and participate in athletic races including marathons, half marathons, triathlons and ironman challenges.
Program Details and Team Benefits:
• Weekly coached bike, run and swim training in New York City or virtual training for athletes outside of the NYC metropolitan area (all fitness levels welcome)
• Training clinics to enhance athletes racing experience
• Official Team Sharsheret triathlon gear
• A personalized fundraising page and support for fundraising initiatives
• Team athletes who will motivate and inspire each other to reach the finish line in support of this important cause
• We will fly athletes to New York (from anywhere in the continental U.S.)
Requirements: Athletes agree to raise a minimum of $5,000 for a slot or $2,500 per leg of the relay for Team Sharsheret to support our national programs (we make it easy with personalized pledge pages on Sharsheret's website!). A $180 Team Sharsheret registration fee will be put towards your fundraising commitment. Athletes are to notify friends and family of your participation in the 2016 NYC Triathlon.
Ellen Kleinhaus, Director of Campus and Community Engagement