2016 DOGGY DASH IS SOLD OUT!
For far too long, canine athletes have faithfully trained alongside their human counterparts, only to be left on the sidelines on race day. No longer! The 2016 Animal Medical Center Doggy Dash gives man (or woman) and best friend the chance to compete in tandem over a five-mile run course. Loyal pups and their loving owners are invited to participate!> View photos from our 2014 gallery
Animal Medical Center Tips & Exercises for Your Dog
>Learn more about the Animal Medical Center
10 Simple Exercises for your Dog
5 Tips to Prepare Your Dog for Exercise
In order to prepare your dog for exercise, it's important you follow these five simple tips recommended by Dr. Leilani Alvarez from The Animal Medical Center's Tina Santi Flaherty Rehabilitation & Fitness Service:
1. Always warm up your dog with a 10-minute walk prior to jogging or heavier exercise.
2. Train your dog gradually to increase the amount of time and intensity of exercise over several weeks, just as you would train yourself.
3. Stop exercise and let your dog rest anytime he is resisting you, unable to keep up or showing other signs of distress. Have your pet examined by a veterinarian to ensure exercise is safe for your dog.
4. Massage your dog and provide gentle passive range of motion (PROM) for all major joints. You may do this before or after exercise, and is most beneficial AFTER exercise. In a side-lying position, keeping the limbs parallel to the body, gently flex and extend each joint of the front and hind limbs. Follow these links to YouTube videos on forelimb PROM and hindlimb PROM.
5. Do not feed your dog a large meal for 2 hours prior to exercise. Exercising on a full stomach can predispose your dog to bloat, which can be life-threatening. Small and frequent amounts of water is fine, and important for proper hydration during exercise.
For more information, please call The Animal Medical Center at 212-838-7053 to schedule an appointment for a rehabilitation and fitness consultation.
Looking to rent or transport your bike to the Panasonic NYC Triathlon? Click here to learn how.
The 2015 Panasonic NYC Triathlon like you’ve never seen it before. Watch what happens from pre-race setup to post-race celebrations and everything in between!
Take a virtual tour of the 2015 course with video, GPS data and detailed mile profiles to prepare you for the big day.